Tuesday, September 8, 2009

First Day of School

Today was the first day of school for my kiddos - first day of public school, first day of riding a school bus, well first day for Gene anyway - Nicole missed her bus, the driver was WAY early, but she did get to ride the school bus home. Both kids enjoyed their first day, came home all smiles and full of chatter about this and that.

Here is Nicole after she got off the bus, she had quite an entourage waiting for her, three of the neighbor kids, Gene and me! All the kids (and Mom) were so excited to see Nicole and hear about her day, it was so cute.


I did manage to get a picture of Gene before we left to walk to the bus stop, I had planned to take pictures of him getting on the bus, but didn't think he would appreciate the "Mommy Moment" so decided just to take his picture before we left the house.


Back to School Survival Bag




I made the kids a Back to School Survival bag, click here to see where I got the cool idea. The picture above is all the loot for the bag, I had the hardest time finding those fruit roll ups and just could not find Hersey's Hugs, so I used Hersey's Kisses instead. The bag is filled with the treats and a letter from to encourage them to do their best at school and to always remember the Lord is with them. Here is list of the things I put in my bags.


Back to School Survival Guide


Fruit by the foot - Put your best foot forward

Pencils - We think you are sharp!

A rock with the word prayer written on with a simple sharpie

A lollipop - to remind you to stick to the scriptures to help you "lick" any obstacles this year

Eraser - to remind you you can start each new day with a clean slate

Rubber band - Stretch your mind this year

paper clips - You have all the tools to hold it together

Hershey Kiss - Just some extra kissess when you need them

Smarties - Smarties for the smartie

Tootsie Roll - to remind you to roll with the punches this year

Sponge - to remind you to soak it all in this year

Almond Joy candy bar - We hope this year brings you great joy


I printed out the cards using business cards on the computer, and used both glue dots and squares to adhere the loot to the business cards. The next time I do one of these I will skip the cards all together and just add the list/meaning to the body of the letter. Of course the bags were a big hit with Gene and Nicole, yeah - all my hard work paid off!

2 comments:

Heather @ Marine Corps Nomads said...

I'm so glad that had a good first day. :) Love the goodies that you put together for them.

CAB said...

Cute idea for the survival guides - I'm glad the children appreciated them!

Thanks for the offer on the TOGYR2 crafts - email me (I can't find your email!) and we can chat - cablevins at yahoo dot com

Talk to you soon!

Christian Myspace Layouts
Christian Myspace Layouts