Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Buttered Rosemary Rolls

Let me introduce you to a great blog,The Pioneer Woman. I found the blog through another blog that I subscribe to (right now I can’t remember which one!) anyway, the blog had a link to the Buttered Rosemary Rolls the PW made and my mouth watered just looking at the pictures -- I just HAD to make them.

Do you know that I’m a fake baker? I am, sigh.   But this was right up my alley, frozen dinner rolls. Even I can do these.


The recipe calls for sea salt and fresh rosemary, of course I had neither, but that did not deter me from tackling the recipe, I used crushed rosemary that I had on hand and just omitted the sea salt, I may try to remember to pick some up later on.

 
At first I had planned to make a large tray of these, but thought about my thighs and quickly decided it was best to just go ahead and make them in a cast iron skilled like The Pioneer Woman! I made eight, so that everyone could have two, and there would be no leftovers, and pretty much followed PW and the package instructions:

Grease the iron skillet with olive oil.

Put the frozen dough balls in the greased skillet.

Cover with clear plastic wrap, next time I will use a dish towel and see which method I prefer.  I placed my covered skilled in a draft free place for 3.5 hours.

Look how plump they are after the rising period.  Big as a cat head biscuit (that’s what my Granddaddy called my Grandmother big biscuits; homemade of course she was not a fake baker!)


Melted 2 tablespoons butter and brushed on top of the rolls after they rose.


Sprinkled some crushed rosemary on top, and baked at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.


I’m now inspired to start a little herb garden and so the next time I make the rolls I will have the fresh rosemary, but for now its McCormick.


Yum!  Give them a try and let me know how many thumbs up you received from the family.


Thanks Pioneer Woman, I’m now a huge fan of yours and enjoyed perusing your blog.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yum. I have the sea salt but not the rolls. :)

ReBecca said...

Ms. Givens,

I did manage to pick up some sea salt on my last grocery trip, so I will have to try the rolls again. Thanks for visiting my blog, I went to your blog site and enjoyed myself.

Tracey said...

nothing fake about those!

Christian Myspace Layouts
Christian Myspace Layouts