Wednesday, April 1, 2009

What An Opportunity!

Don't you love seeing and hearing about kids doing the right thing? I certainly do! When my friend Tina sent me her annual "what's been going on with us" letter, she told how excited daughter Catherine (age 13) was being accepted into a leadership program with People to People where she will represent our country in a three week trip to China this summer. Here is the the letter from Catherine telling all about her big news!


Hello it’s Catherine,

I have some exciting news! I have an opportunity to go to China and I’m looking forward to your support. The organization hosting my trip to China is People to People - which represents the culmination of President Eisenhower’s lifelong crusade for world peace. He felt very strongly that everyday citizens of the world wanted peace and could attain it much more effectively without government interference. In January of 1956, President Eisenhower held an international conference at the White House to meet with the top 100 business leaders in the United States to help him form the organization to be called People to People (for additional information please see
www.studentambassadors.org).

I have been recommended by my teachers to attend this trip due to academic status and leadership skills. I will visit China from July 24 – August 9 of 2009; while there I will go to Beijing, Hong Kong, Shanghai, and Xian. The total cost of my trip to China is $6,739.00 which is due in May of 2009; therefore whatever support you provide should be received by May 1, 2009 at RR 2 Box 2676, Cresco, PA 18326 (please make all payments payable to Catherine R. A. Fornwald).

This trip will allow me to:

* Develop the global mindset and critical thinking skills that will become valuable to my college and future pursuits.
* Make social studies personal by comparing cultures and traditions with a host family in Shanghai.
* Go beyond the history textbook, seeing firsthand the Terracotta Warriors of Xian, the Great Wall, and other ancient works of art.
* Gain an appreciation of Chinese politics and ask questions of a government expert in Beijing.

In preparation for my visit to China I attend monthly meetings with twenty other Student Ambassadors and our two local People to People Leaders. To communicate while in China I have been learning Chinese and I have completed the People to People Student Ambassadors Certifications in the following subjects:

China Food and Customs
China Geography
China History and Government
China Religion and Art
China Daily Life
Your Home Stay
Hotel Procedure Safety & Behavior
Standards for Success
Staying Healthy
Money Matters
Making the Most of It!

Also please send me your e-mail address so I can keep you posted as I prepare for my journey and share my report & photos upon my return. Between you and me my parents (Mark & Tina) are so proud of me, but I think my brother (Alexander) is just glad I will be gone for 17 days!

Thank you in advance for your support,


Catherine R.A Fornwald
People to People Student Ambassador
My e-mail is
craf@ptd.net

No comments:

Christian Myspace Layouts
Christian Myspace Layouts