Monday, August 11, 2008

Birds of Virginia

We enjoy bird watching, but didn't have any books to help out with identifying the birds who visit our feeders. Well a few weeks back I posted a picture and asked for help identifying a particular bird, my friend Cathy sent me a comment and not only told me the name but also some really cool information on the bird. She also recommended Birds of Virginia field Guide, which I ordered from Overstock.com, I also ordered Backyard Birds of Virginia, but that hasn't arrived yet.

This morning I heard a whole lot of chirping going on when I went into the kitchen, and sitting on the boarded up ledge of my back door was this little bird, I was just in time to see mama bird bring some seed to the baby bird. I'm not sure what kind of bird it is, I'm thinking Carolina Wren, Cathy you will have to help me out again on this one.


I tried really hard to get a picture of the mama bird while she was feeding, but I'm not that fast.

Gee, the glass on the door is dirty!

Here are some other pictures from today -

American Goldfinch



White-breasted Nuthatch

Okay, this one is hard to tell, I should have looked this guy up while I was watching.

Don't you love the pose!

1 comment:

Cathy Lyon said...

Great bird photos!

From what I can tell, the first photo is indeed a Caroline Wren. The Goldfinches are beautiful. The bottom photo of the bird looking at you looks like a Tufted Titmouse. You can find him on pg. 227 of your new book.
Happy Bird Watching!

Christian Myspace Layouts
Christian Myspace Layouts