Friday, February 6, 2009

Discipleship Class

Eric and I are participating in a Discipleship class at our church. The class started in October and is a 18-month long course, with a separate class for the men and women. I'm not sure how many resources we will use, but we completed our first book "Lessons on Assurance" before Christmas, and are now on our second book entitles "Growing Strong in God's Family". Right now we have five Bible verses to commit to memory, they are:


Assurance of Salvation: 1 John 5:11-12

And this is the testimony: God has given us eternal life, and this life is in his Son. He who has the Son has life; he who does not have the Son of God does not have life. 1 John 5:11-12 (NIV)


Assurance of Salvation: John 16:24

Until now you have not asked for anything in my name. Ask and you will receive, and your joy will be complete. John 16:24 (NIV)


Assurance of Victory: 1 Corinthians 10:13

No temptation has seized you except what is common to man. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can stand up under it. 1 Corinthians 10:13 (NIV)

Assurance of Forgiveness: 1 John 1:9

If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. 1 John 1:9 (NKJV)

Assurance of Guidance: Proverbs 3:5-6

Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths. Proverbs 3:5-6 (NKJV)




When we first started the course, I was having a hard time with the verses, I kept mixing in the King James version in when I was saying the verse in the New International Version. I think the hardest part for me getting the references, but finally the light came on and I've got it. We had a Sword Drill at the church of all the Scriptures - the men against the women and I'm delighted to say that the women won the contest!!

As I was doing my lesson this morning, the book had a powerful statement:

Christ is present in all Christians;
Christ is prominent in some Christians;
But in only a few Christians is Christ preeminent.


Something to ponder...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love the quote you added to the end of your post. Quite challenging!

May Christ grant us grace to make Him preeminent in our lives!

Christian Myspace Layouts
Christian Myspace Layouts