Monday, June 2, 2008

Red-winged Blackbird



We have been trying to learn about the birds that visit our backyard. I have my eye on a couple of books but of course will check out what books the library has on hand before we make any purchases and also see what interesting finds are on the web. Our first site to visit has been All About Birds. The first bird that we will learn more about is the Red-winged Blackbird. This is a beautiful bird, very boisterous and seems to let all the other birds know that the feeders are full. He will even answer when Eric whistles to him! Here are a few pictures that I've taken.





I'm thinking that the kids and I will do notebooking pages for our study of birds or maybe a lapbook display to show what they learned about each bird but we will decide that a little later on. If you have any must see web-sites or books please pass on the information.

I am amazed at how many birds we get to our little feeders, and right now we have three of them, and Eric usually fills them up every day or they would like him to.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful pictures! I'm making an effort to be more mindful of the variety of God's wonderful creation. I tend to get tunnel vision inside.

Your nature photos, your blog, and your family are lovely and inspiring! I'm bookmarking to return for smiles here frequently.

(Found your blog through the TOG blogroll)

Tracey said...

Great pics! Now I finally know what that bird is called, I see them often but never knew their name.

Christian Myspace Layouts
Christian Myspace Layouts